Re: [Help-bash] How to download the latest bash?

From: Chris Down
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] How to download the latest bash?
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 21:53:40 +0800

On 25 June 2013 21:42, Greg Wooledge <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 11:25:18PM +1000, Matthew Cengia wrote:
>> On 2013-06-25 14:06, Geir Hauge wrote:
>> [...]
>> > After cloning it checks out the master branch by default, which contains
>> > the source code for the latest stable release; currently 4.2.45. To build
>> > the devel version, you have to specifically checkout the devel branch
>> > first.
>> >
>> > git checkout devel
>>
>> Apparently there *is* no other branch in that repo. This raises another
>> question: Where *is* development done? Is there a public repo? Have I
>> missed something obvious?
>
> I'm just a newbie at Git, so I might be wrong, but....
>
> "git branch -a" shows:
>
> * master
>   remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
>   remotes/origin/bash-4.3-testing
>   remotes/origin/devel
>   remotes/origin/direxpand
>   remotes/origin/import-tars
>   remotes/origin/master
>
> "git checkout devel" appeared to create a new local branch called "devel".
> It did NOT switch to "remotes/origin/devel".

That's not the way that Git works. "origin/devel" is your local view
of the remote, which can be updated with "git fetch". It is
categorically *not* the remote itself. "devel" is your local working
branch that happens to track "origin/devel". So yes, a new branch is
created -- that is expected. You don't put your work on origin/devel
directly. You put it on devel, and push it out to origin on *their*
branch devel.