Re: [Help-bash] Very slow command completion when the current directory

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Very slow command completion when the current directory is slow to access
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 19:07:45 -0500

> It's likely your .bashrc is sourcing /etc/bash_completion* which almost
> certainly does a whole lot of checks (including the contents of the
> current directory) before returning possible completions. Start a shell
> with bash --norc --noprofile to see if this fixes the issue. If so, stop

`bash --norc --noprofile` does improve the speed.

/opt/local/share/mercurial/contrib/bash_completion
/opt/local/share/bash-completion/bash_completion
/opt/local/etc/profile.d/bash_completion.sh
/opt/local/etc/bash_completion.d
/private/etc/bash_completion.d

I have the above files related with bash_completion

But I don't source any of them in my .bashrc (my OS is Mac OS X 10.8.4
with macports). How to figure where bash_completion is sourced? (But
then it may be in a system file, I'd rather not to change any system
file. Is there a way to disable bash_completion?)

Peng