Re: [Help-bash] Question :: bash read with timeout only works once?

From: Chris F.A. Johnson
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Question :: bash read with timeout only works once?
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 12:23:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 Oct 2013, Philip Van-Houtte wrote:

Hello,

I have a problem with reads using timeouts. Either in shell, sub-shell or
script it seems "read with timeout" will only work once, i.e. if I have
multiple read with timeout statements only the first will be able to
timeout and the second will hang...

e.g.

*#/bin/bash*

*read -p "Enter first value : " -t 5 X*
*read -p "Enter second value : " -t 5 Y*
When executed:

./s3.sh
Enter first value : Enter second value

The second read doesn't timeout. This is bash 4.1.0

   I have tried it in 4.1 and 4.2 and both reads timeout in both
   versions of bash, both at the command line and in a script,
   whether in a subshell or not.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson, <http://cfajohnson.com>