[Help-bash] Command Substitution

From: Kevin Connor Arpe
Subject: [Help-bash] Command Substitution
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 12:34:57 +0800

Hello,

I am seeking clarification about the Bash 4.2 man page.  I downloaded
the latest source and built a binary from scratch on Linux.

Section "Command Substitution" has the following sentence:
"If the substitution appears within double quotes, word splitting and
pathname expansion are not performed on the results."

Unless I misunderstand, this sentence is inconsistent with the following:
$ bash
$ echo $BASH_VERSION
4.2.0(2)-release
$ var="data