[Help-bash] How to profile a user bash function?

From: Peng Yu
Subject: [Help-bash] How to profile a user bash function?
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 10:14:10 -0500

Hi,

I'm wondering what is the best way to profile a user defined bash
function. Also, some functions may be slow (say ~1sec) at the first
time when it is run, but subsequent runs of them become much faster.
Is there a good way to profile a bash function? (I'd like something
like valgrind to generate the timing info, but I'm not sure there is
such a tool.) Thanks.

Peng