[Help-bash] the first line of $PS1 is not updated when it's multi-line

From: 李仁林
Subject: [Help-bash] the first line of $PS1 is not updated when it's multi-line
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 10:23:10 +0100

Hi all,

Recently I use bash 4.3, and it provides a cool notation to help me find
out which mode am I in when vi editing is enabled.

I use the following bashrc configuration to enable them

bind 'set show-mode-in-prompt on'
set -o vi

it works nice when my $ps1 is one line. and it doesn't work when it spans
into two line.
It seems only the current editing line is updated.

for example:

address@hidden:/work/
$ type_CMD_here

Is there a way to specify the mode hint position so that I can put it in
the second line to circumvent this problem? or it's possible to update the
whole command prompt?

Kind regards!
Renlin Li

--