Re: [Help-bash] the first line of $PS1 is not updated when it's multi-li

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] the first line of $PS1 is not updated when it's multi-line
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 11:28:14 -0400

On 7/18/14, 5:23 AM, 李仁林 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently I use bash 4.3, and it provides a cool notation to help me find
> out which mode am I in when vi editing is enabled.
>
> I use the following bashrc configuration to enable them
>
> bind 'set show-mode-in-prompt on'
> set -o vi
>
> it works nice when my $ps1 is one line. and it doesn't work when it spans
> into two line.
> It seems only the current editing line is updated.
>
> for example:
>
> address@hidden:/work/
> $ type_CMD_here
>
> Is there a way to specify the mode hint position so that I can put it in
> the second line to circumvent this problem? or it's possible to update the
> whole command prompt?

Thanks for the report.  You're right that the redisplay code only deals
with the portion of the prompt following the final newline, and that the
mode indicator is put before the first character of the prompt.

I will have to figure out the best way to fix this.  It may be that
special-case code to update the first character following the final newline
is the best way to go.

Chet

Chet Ramey, ITS, CWRU    address@hidden    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/