[Help-bash] trouble using &

From: frank ernest
Subject: [Help-bash] trouble using &
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 17:52:14 +0200

Hi, I was trying to play a wav file using play and I can't seem to get it to
fork into the background while still playing. I've tried using coproc, and &
but nothing seems to work (ctrl-Z would stop the process,) here is a real code
snippet:

play "All night long.wav" &> /dev/null &
ps
PID   TTY   TIME    CMD
3440 pts/0 00:00:00 bash
3491 pts/0 00:00:00 play
3492 pts/0 00:00:00 ps

The file plays fine if I remove the last & .
echo hello
Works fine, so, what do I do? I know that changing ttys IE ctrl-alt-F* makes
the audio stop (which makes sense because that if I'm playing a cool tune and
you don't want to hear it you don't since your logged in on a different tty,)
but I don't think & does that to the process.
Thanks