Re: [Help-bash] using functions passed as environment variables after th

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] using functions passed as environment variables after the vulnerability fix
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 16:15:28 -0400

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 08:01:48PM +0000, Wendy Palm wrote:
> We updated our system to the latest fix, but find passing functions via an
> environment variable isn't working at all.
> Was that the intent of the fix?  Or am I trying to do it incorrectly?
>
> It's a CentOS 6.5 system, with bash-4.1.2-15.el6_5.2.x86_64
>
> # env 'x=() { echo "functions still work"; }' bash -c x
> bash: x: command not found

Well, you're not passing them in the normal way.  Try actually exporting
it from one bash instance to another, instead of setting the environment
variable contents by hand.

CentOS might have applied one of the experimental fixes that changes
*how* bash exports functions through the environment.  In which case,
this syntax would no longer be correct.