Re: [Help-bash] Firefox Parameter

From: Joydeep Chakrabarty
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Firefox Parameter
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 00:59:19 +0530

On Monday 15 December 2014 08:38 PM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 11:20:39AM +0000, Joydeep Chakrabarty wrote:
contains -

#! /bin/sh
firefox -newtab "$@" || firefox "$@" &

I made it executable with +x option. Now when I run it using "./ff
www.yahoo.com", it always opens up my homepage(google). What am I doing
wrong here?

This isn't so much a Bash question as a Firefox question.  Start with
the basics.  If you type this command at a shell prompt:

firefox -newtab www.yahoo.com

what does it do?  For me, it opens a new window (not a new tab) with
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl in the URL bar, and Google's front
page displayed.

This means that "firefox -newtab ..." is not the right command.  You
need to find out what the right command IS, before you can put it in
a script.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Command_Line_Options
might be useful, or it might not.  It was my first Google result for
"firefox command line parameters".

Thanks, it worked. I just removed the -newtab option.
I could not figure out to which group I should post. I thought I might be passing wrong parameter to my shell script. So I posted here.

Thanks again.