Re: [Help-bash] How to figure out what files has been loaded by bash?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] How to figure out what files has been loaded by bash?
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2015 18:20:18 -0700

Peng Yu wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > I don't see any login banner on Ubuntu before the password prompt.
>
> I have set /etc/issue.net which is where the banner is stored.

Debian/Ubuntu normally have a file /etc/issue.net with the system name
and version.  It isn't normally displayed on an ssh login.  AFAIK it
is only used by telnetd not ssh.  And telnetd id long deprecated now.
Although I expect there is a way to enable it through PAM for all
logins.  You may have enabled it.

> This is after I put the password. I don't think it is waiting for input.

Acknowledged.

So far you have only said this:
> I try to login to an linux account (with bash as the login shell)? But
> it somehow hangs before getting to loading .bashrc file (as I put an
> echo statement in the first line of .bashrc but nothing is printed to
> the screen).

Is the server otherwise responsive?  Is it performing other functions?
It may be that it is simply in a very unhappy state.  You didn't say
and so I don't know the type of server.  Is there a way to access the
console?  It might not be a bash login specific problem but just a
problem that nothing can fork on the system or some other general
system problem.  Has it been rebooted between then and now?  There is
a lot of possible debugging that could be done but a time honored
action is to reboot the server and see if it comes up happy.  If you
really have no access then that might be your best option.  Not enough
information in this thread to know what to suggest.

Bob