Re: [Help-bash] Help

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Help
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 08:42:36 -0400

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 07:53:54PM +0800, address@hidden wrote:
> I accidentally uninstalled bash by "rpm -e bash --nodeps",Can I fix it
> again?If can,Please tell me how to fix,Thanks very much.
> My System version is Redhat5.9,I'll look forward to your reply.

This is really a Red Hat question, rather than a bash question.  I'm not a
Red Hat user, but I would guess the problem is rpm needs bash to install
RPMs (chicken & egg).  So, with that in mind, what I would try first
is manually copying /bin/bash from another Red Hat box of the same
architecture and version to your box.  There may also be some shared
libraries to copy (e.g. libreadline).  Use ldd to see what the shared
libraries are, and make sure they exist on your box.  Run ldconfig.
Once the binary and the shared libraries are all in place, and you have
run ldconfig, then see if you can install the bash RPM.

If that doesn't work, ask for help on a Red Hat mailing list, or in a
Red Hat IRC channel, or on a Red Hat web forum.