Re: [Help-bash] Allow getopts to do what is capable with getopt?

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Allow getopts to do what is capable with getopt?
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 20:28:34 -0500

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 7:14 PM, Eduardo A. Bustamante López
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> getopt is more robust than getopts.
> No.
>
> Read: http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/035#getopts

It says "Unless it's the version from util-linux, and you use its
advanced mode, never use getopt(1)." I am referring to util-linux'
getopt. I believe the getopt on
http://blog.onetechnical.com/2012/07/16/bash-getopt-versus-getopts/ is
from util-linux.

BTW, I don't know what "advanced mode" refers to here.

> getopts is enough for most needs.

This URL demonstrates that it is not robust with respect to all the needs.

http://blog.onetechnical.com/2012/07/16/bash-getopt-versus-getopts/

> See: http://wiki.bash-hackers.org/howto/getopts_tutorial
> also.
>
> --