Re: [Help-bash] make function local

From: Eduardo A . Bustamante López
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] make function local
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 15:57:03 -0500

At this point you might want to ask yourself:

  Why do I want functions to be first class citizens in bash?

Now, if you have a compelling argument, please explain it here. Examples of
what's not good: "because X language has it", "because it's a features of
modern languages", and so on. Remember that bash is a niche language, and it
has a specific set of features that are useful in that context. How are
function objects useful in this context?

Also, you might have a better chance of getting your proposal accepted if you
submit a working patch against the devel branch that shows how your suggestion
might work.

Remember that bash is maintained by a single person, and that there are lots of
pending bug reports and feature requests, so... by reducing Chet's workload to
just apply your patch and test it, it'll be more feasible to get it included.

I also suspect that this feature requires a major rework of how bash works
internally, so my guess is that even with very compelling reasons to do so,
it's not going to get implemented.

--
Eduardo Bustamante
https://dualbus.me/