Re: [Help-bash] Odd behaviour using $(...)

From: Pierre Gaston
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Odd behaviour using $(...)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 14:58:51 +0300

bash --posix ensure that a script written according to posix works as it is
supposed to, but it doesn't disable all the extensions so you cannot use
this mode to test that your script conforms to posix

see http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Bash-POSIX-Mode.html

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Peter West <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks for that.
>
> A follow-up question arises from your advice about 'typeset -i'.  If I
> change my shell execution mode to
>   #! /bin/bash ---posix
> or
>   #! /bin/sh ---posix
> I get no complaints about 'typeset -i'.  Does this mean that I can't run a
> bash shell in a manner that will conform to a minimal shell, or that a
> posix shell is a different beast to a basic 'sh'?  Or does it mean that the
> '-i' is ignored, and that that is not noticed because it makes no
> difference in this instance?

The bash posix mode ensure that a script written according to the posix
specs will do  wil as it should so its behavior change where it would break
the posix