[Help-bash] Question on developing GDB like tool for shell

From: Vaithiyanathan Sundaram
Subject: [Help-bash] Question on developing GDB like tool for shell
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:02:49 -0700

Hi Bash community,

I just scoped through the bash code and have a proposal to create a
GDB like tool for Bash.

Before I provide my proposal and ask for more thoughts, I would like
to know if there is any such tool already existing, or if there is any
"almost matching" binary in Bash itself. I know bash has debugger
support, just wanted to know if that can do what I wanted.

It all started when I wanted to find the flow of all the functions
just like browsing source code in any language like C or Python, etc.
I created a proof of concept to generate a dot diagram for the
function flow (except built in functions). The code was embedded
within the Bash code so that we can reuse the hash table and parser in
Bash.

Since I have got some exposure on the complex infrastructure, I would
like to extend this into a bigger domain with GDB like debugging
support. Where an user can step through functions, infact even provide
input and test the functions, break, etc.

The utility can be embedded as a builtin support for Bash so we can
reuse the already existing data structures.

Please respond back with your thoughts. I have always wanted to
contribute to Open source, and it will  be great if this is allowed
and acceptable proposal.

I can provide a better proposal if needed too.

Thanks
Vaithi.