Re: [Help-bash] Unicode characters in PS1 : line wrapping

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Unicode characters in PS1 : line wrapping
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 14:05:51 -0400

On 5/21/15 10:50 AM, Florent B wrote:
> On 05/21/2015 04:39 PM, Chet Ramey wrote:

>> OK.  I built a quickie Debian 7 VM and ran bash-4.3.39 in it with your
>> PS1 (using Terminal) and still can't reproduce the problem using the
>> en_US.UTF-8 locale.
>>

> You are right, it works when you set it in terminal.
> But it does not work when you define PS1 in /etc/profile.d/custom_ps1.sh
> for example (and reload bash of course).
> What could cause that ?

I don't know.  I tried this very quickly and PS1 kept getting overwritten
by the assignment in /etc/bash.bashrc.  At that point I moved on and went
to work out.  I'm satisfied that it's not a redisplay problem.

You might make sure that the values that get assigned to PS1 are identical
whether you use custom_ps1.sh or assign PS1 directly at the prompt.

Chet

Chet Ramey, ITS, CWRU    address@hidden    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/