Re: [Help-bash] Filename Expansion: Find Utility vs Bash Shell Pattern M

From: Eduardo A . Bustamante López
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Filename Expansion: Find Utility vs Bash Shell Pattern Matching
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 20:38:17 -0500

>From what I've read, you have a somewhat naïve perception of how this industry
works (and my guess is that all areas of human knowledge, but I claim no
expertise on anything else).

I'll leave you with this:

 Want to do something about it? Get involved in ALL the projects that use
 globs, submit patches to fix their inconsistent behaviour. You also have to
 make sure you don't break any scripts users already made that rely on these
 specific features, so make sure you introduce a backwards compatibility
 mechanism.

 Now do this for absolutely every common feature across the tools in the
 GNU/Linux system.

I don't have the time, nor I care about it enough to dedicate that huge amount
of energy to something so trivial. But maybe you do.

BTW, it's not just GNU/Linux that's hard to master. Actually, I can't think
right now of *anything* that's not hard to master due to improper
documentation, lack of consistent behavior, etc.

My recommendation: Don't worry too much about it. Just learn. And try to fix
stuff in your way (or ask to get it fixed). That's what most of us in this list
do.

--
Eduardo Bustamante
https://dualbus.me/