Re: [Help-bash] .bash_profile, .bash_login, and .profile

From: Michael Convey
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] .bash_profile, .bash_login, and .profile
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 07:35:42 -0700

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 5:05 AM, Greg Wooledge <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 07:58:18PM -0700, Michael Convey wrote:
> > Similar to the Bourne shell, can the .profile file be used in combination
> > with the .bash_profile file to switch between using the bash and Korn
> > shells?
>
> I don't know what you mean by "switch between".

​My original quote from Newham's book includes the following:

​"One advantage of bash’s ability to look for either synonym is that you
can retain your .profile if you have been using the Bourne shell. If you
need to add bash-specific commands, you can put them in .bash_profile
followed by the command source .profile. When you log in, all the
bash-specific commands will be executed, and bash will source .profile,
executing the remaining commands. If you decide to switch to using the
Bourne shell you don’t have to modify your existing files."

The quote above references changing login shells between bash and Bourne. Will
the scenario described in Newham's quote above also work if I change back
and forth between the bash shell and the Korn shell using the "chsh"
command?