Re: [Help-bash] regex for allowed names of bash variables

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] regex for allowed names of bash variables
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 07:44:09 -0500

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 10:26:24PM -0600, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi, I want to know the exact definition of allowed as bash variable
> names. Could anybody know the regex for it?

 DEFINITIONS
       name A word consisting only of alphanumeric characters and
            underscores, and beginning with an alphabetic character or an
            underscore.  Also referred to as an identifier.

 PARAMETERS
      A parameter is an entity that stores values.  It can be a name, a
      number, or one of the special characters listed below under Special
      Parameters.  A variable is a parameter denoted by a name.