Re: [Help-bash] [newbie] non-interactive non-login bash shell

From: Pierre Gaston
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] [newbie] non-interactive non-login bash shell
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 10:14:13 +0200

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Divya Thaluru <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Pierre,
>
> I was not able to find special compile time option. what is this option?
>
> From the url,
> Bash has a special compile time option that will cause it to source the
> .bashrc file on non-login, non-interactive ssh sessions. This feature is
> only enabled by certain OS vendors (mostly Linux distributions). It is not
> enabled in a default upstream Bash build, and (empirically) not on OpenBSD
> either.
>
> I was not able to find special compile time option. what is this option?
>
> Thanks,
> Divya
>

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 11:30 PM, Pierre Gaston <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Divya Thaluru <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to source /etc/profile automatically if I execute a command
>>> through
>>> ssh, which is non-interactive and non login shell. Is there a way to
>>> achieve this? I really appreciate your help.
>>>
>>> ssh  address@hidden 'echo "import os; print os.environ;" | python'
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Divya
>>>

>> Depending on your system, .bashrc might be sourced see:
>> http://mywiki.wooledge.org/DotFiles
>>

> in config-top.h there is:

/* Define this if you want bash to try to check whether it's being run by
   sshd and source the .bashrc if so (like the rshd behavior).  This checks
   for the presence of SSH_CLIENT or SSH2_CLIENT in the initial environment,
   which can be fooled under certain not-uncommon circumstances. */
/* #define SSH_SOURCE_BASHRC */