[Help-bash] How to safely work on files/dirs with .

From: David Niklas
Subject: [Help-bash] How to safely work on files/dirs with .
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 10:46:34 -0500

Hello,
The other day I tried to change the perms of the files in a temporary home
dir as root with
% chown -R test:test /home/test/.*
After noting that it was taking more then a few seconds I killed the
command and then used the path that I gave chown to ls and got the
following output:
% ls /home/test/.*
/home/test/.bash_history /home/test/.bash_logout /home/test/.bash_profile
/home/test/.bashrc

/home/test/.:
test

/home/test/..
test
Me

/home/test/.nano:
filepos_history

/home/test/.ssh:
%
This is not what I wanted to access. I only want to change the file owner
in my test user's home dir.
How do I do this safely?

Thanks, David