Re: [Help-bash] bash to csh converter?

From: Mun
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] bash to csh converter?
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 23:21:24 -0700

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your reply.
Please see my comments below.

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 05:16 PM PDT, Bob Proulx wrote:
BP> Mun wrote:
BP> > I need to convert some scripts from bash to t/csh and was wondering if
BP> > anyone knew of any good converter script/mjtool?  So far my Google'ing has
BP> > been fruitless.
BP>
BP> Your posting prompts me to ask questions.  Since #!/bin/csh scripting
BP> is generally regarded as inferior to #!/bin/sh scripting, a proposal
BP> such as this triggers questions.  Are you sure you want to go that
BP> direction and not the other way?  Please, please say that it is the
BP> other way around.

Sorry, but I really need to go from Bash to csh.  I write my shell
scripts in Bash; but many folks at work use a csh env.  At this point, I
am researching a solution for them: one possibility being the conversion
of said scripts to csh.

BP> Note that scripts can always use #!/bin/bash to
BP> select the interpreter it doesn't make sense to convert those scripts
BP> to #!/bin/csh.

I had already tried that but ran into issue.

BP> I can only assume that you are working in a tcsh prompt and are
BP> sourcing files and are trying to convert some bash to something that
BP> can be sourced in the csh .login file.  Am I close?

That's pretty close; except I work in the Bash world.  Many of my peers
do not, but they require the functionality of the Bash scripts.

Thanks,

--
Mun