Re: [Help-bash] variable assign preceding script

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] variable assign preceding script
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 11:10:04 -0400

On Thu, Jun 02, 2016 at 11:04:56PM +0800, Wu Shuangrong wrote:
> Thanks for your prompt reply.
> I have checked this, it really behaves the way as you said.
> Does this only occur for script files? What about binary command?

Commands like sed, grep, awk that aren't shells do not use the IFS
variable at all.  Awk has both input and output field separators,
but they are specified with different commands/options.  E.g. to
specify an awk input field separator of : from the command line:

$ head -n 1 /etc/passwd | awk -F: '{print $1}'
root