Re: [Help-bash] Variables in substitution replacements

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Variables in substitution replacements
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 08:01:38 -0400

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 10:52:51PM -0400, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> Whew...  I tried a pile of things but didn't think to do *that* --
> thanks!  I'll at least call Emacs as a supporting witness to my
> surprise, in that it mis-highlights that.  (And perhaps should also
> not highlight the $1 in my broken version as quoted.)

Shell grammar and syntax are so incredibly, ridiculously complicated
that there isn't any text editor in the entire world that gets it
right when it comes to syntax coloration.  We see complaints from vim
users as well, who think that some code they've been given is wrong
because vim colors it wrong.  Turns out the code is fine, and vim is
wrong.  But they won't believe that, of course....