Re: [Help-bash] How to print a bash variable in the most succinct way?

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] How to print a bash variable in the most succinct way?
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 14:44:06 -0500

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Greg Wooledge <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 02:21:52PM -0500, Peng Yu wrote:
>> How to only generate variables that are modifiable (i.e., not readonly)?
>
> If you are so incredibly lazy that you can't accept the straightforward
> solution ("make a list of all the variables I need to export, and then
> export them"), why are you not simply using the lazy person's "set -a"
> alternative to export ALL your variables?

There are situations export won't work. For example, the command `at`
(for job scheduling) by default will not use bash in scheduled job. If
I want to make sure any job scheduled must run transparently when bash
variables/functions (defined in the bash when `at` is called) are
used, users should know nothing about then bash variables/functions.
To do so, I must capture the variables and functions available in the
bash when I run `at` and make them available to the bash called by the
job when the job actually runs.

> As suggsted by Pierre Gaston in:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-bash/2016-08/msg00047.html
>
> You seem to be so lazy that you won't do the obvious right thing, but
> also you seem to be unwilling to accept the solution that was created
> specifically to LET PEOPLE BE LAZY.  I don't know what you want.
>
> (Actually I have a theory about what you want, but I hope I am wrong.
> Nevertheless, I fear I must be right, because I have eliminated all
> of my other hypotheses.)

Peng