Re: [Help-bash] Question: Capturing command output (on-screen keyword co

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Question: Capturing command output (on-screen keyword colorizer/prettifier).
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 12:28:04 -0400

On 10/5/16 8:35 PM, Matthew Giassa wrote:
> I managed to get 99% of the way there. I used dup()/pipe()/dup2() and
> hooked fork() to redirect stdout for bash and child processes to a
> dedicated per-process pipe. I then spawn a dedicated (detached) worker
> thread after forking which reads in the pipe, and then sends it merrily
> along to the PTS/TTY (doesn't yet inject color codes).
>
> I've noticed the following undesired behavior though when I initially
> start BASh:
> Case 1:
>     malloc: .././subst.c:8902: assertion botched
>     free: start and end chunk sizes differ
>     Aborting...
>     malloc: unknown:0: assertion botched
>     free: start and end chunk sizes differ
>     Aborting...Aborted (core dumped)

As I recall, this happens when the functions in the LD_PRELOAD use a
different malloc (in this case, the libc malloc) than the malloc the
rest of the bash code uses (the builtin bash one).  I believe this has
come up before.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    address@hidden    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/