Re: [Help-bash] add and expand

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] add and expand
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 09:33:34 -0400

On Thu, Jun 08, 2017 at 08:16:43AM -0500, Dennis Williamson wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2017 7:45 AM, "Greg Wooledge" <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 08, 2017 at 02:02:20AM +0000, Val Krem wrote:
> > I am trying to develop a pipeline procedure in SLURM
> > (https://hpc.nih.gov/docs/job_dependencies.html).

> > JJ1 will give the job id or PID (numeric value) for the job1.sh.
> > echo ${JJ1}  will produce  number like this  11254323

Definitely not a PID.  Unless he completely pulled the number out of
his ass, which wouldn't surprise me at this point.  Presenting ACTUAL
information is clearly not part of Val's skillset.

> My curiosity got the better of me so I took a quick glance at the
> documentation of the system the OP is using. It seems to be an hpc cluster.
> It's likely that the sbatch program submits what they refer to as "jobs" to
> run on a different system altogether and returns immediately. The output
> might be a pid on that system or perhaps some sort of task ID. So there's
> no issue with backgrounding on the local system.
>
> Words have contextual meaning, but it's the responsibility of a good
> communicator to set up the context. The OP failed in that regard.

Yeah, it could be a task ID if this sbatch thing is some sort of
"enterprise" "middleware" layer.  In which case it's got practically
nothing to do with bash.

Val, try explaining what you are doing.  That is, what you want the final
result to be -- NOT the sequence of steps you are trying to perform that
you think will get you there.  Do not use any bash commands or syntax.
Just use English words.

Try starting with "I have a ___".

If there are sepecific external constraints that you MUST follow for
some reason, be sure to include those.  "My professor says we can't use
sed or awk" would be an example of a constraint.  "My boss says we
have to use SLURM" would be another.

Finally, if your task is highly dependent upon the details of this SLURM
product, you really should be asking on a SLURM mailing list, instead
of a bash one.  We don't know anything about it.