Re: [Help-bash] Variable name allowed characters.

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Variable name allowed characters.
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 14:17:41 -0400

On 7/24/17 1:55 PM, Mike Mestnik wrote:
> Hello,
>   I'm working on a parser for bash and I was unable to find an
> authoritative reference on the format of variable names.

Variable names are defined as `names' in the man page:

name   A  word  consisting  only  of alphanumeric characters and under-
       scores, and beginning with an alphabetic character or an  under-
       score.  Also referred to as an identifier.

If you want something more standard,

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap03.html#tag_03_235

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    address@hidden    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/