Re: [Help-bash] Assigning builtins behavior

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Assigning builtins behavior
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 15:20:55 -0500

On 1/8/18 3:04 PM, Andy Chu wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 11:17 AM, Chet Ramey <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>

>     No. Posix and bash include the concept of a `declaration command', as
>     described in
>
>     http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=351
>     <http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=351>
>
>     which dates from 2010.
>
>     The above interpretation was approved in 2011, and will be effective
>     as of the next `major' release of the Posix standard (issue 8). At
>     that point, dash and other shell implementations that don't implement
>     this behavior will have to be changed to conform.
>

> OK thanks for the information.  The description of a "declaration utility"
> certainly clears things up.
>
> At the top of: http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/
>
> I see this:
>
> "The 2016 edition incorporates Technical Corrigendum 1 and Technical
> Corrigendum 2 addressing problems discovered since the approval of the 2008
> edition."
>
> If that additional text in the bug was "approved" in 2011, why don't I see
> it in the HTML?  Did I miss it, is the HTML out of date, or is the approved
> text is not in
> Technical Corrigendum 1 or 2?  (I don't know reallly know how POSIX works,
> or whata Technical Corrigendum is ... )

It's enough of a change that it got tagged for issue 8 (the next major
version of the standard).  The corrigenda are basically corrections and
clarifications to the existing material.

If you look after the "desired action" in the interpretation request, you
see a "Tags" section, and it's tagged for issue 8, so it's deferred until
then.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    address@hidden    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/