Re: [Help-bash] What does kqueue means?

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] What does kqueue means?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 10:28:28 -0500

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 11:42:25PM +0100, Jorge wrote:
> I'm trying to understand what the word kqueue means to understand the option
> -k from ulimit, which says:
>
> > The maximum number of kqueues that may be allocate
>
> Someone told me that it's a BSD thing via #bash IRC, but I have no idea how
> to find more info about that. man sigqueue nor man setrlimit didn't help me
> find it out.

BSD systems typically have their man pages online.

<https://man.openbsd.org/setrlimit> has nothing about it, so I'm assuming
OpenBSD does not have kqueues.

<https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=setrlimit&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+11.1-RELEASE+and+Ports&arch=default&format=html>
(the resulting of searching for setrlimit at
<https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi>)
DOES have it, so obviously FreeBSD has them.  Sadly, there is no
link to a kqueue page from the SEE ALSO section.

However, if we search again for kqueue, we get to
<https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=kqueue&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+11.1-RELEASE+and+Ports&arch=default&format=html>
which should have all the information you want.

I'd bet you could have got here simply by searching Google for something
like "bsd kqueue man page", though that wasn't the path I chose.