Re: [Help-bash] Targeting minimal POSIX compliance

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Targeting minimal POSIX compliance
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 16:58:17 -0400

On 4/4/18 4:31 PM, Joel Ebel wrote:
> I'm attempting to build bash for a minimal environment where I would like
> bash to be small, fast, and with minimal dependencies, but I would like to
> still target POSIX compliance. I had first assumed that
> --enable-minimal-config would still provide POSIX compliance, but I noticed
> several features being disabled that I believe are required for POSIX
> compliance. Notably, job control and alias. Are there other features that
> need to be re-enabled with --enable-minimal-config in order to achieve
> POSIX compliance?

--enable-job-control
--enable-alias
--enable-readline
--enable-history
--enable-strict-posix-default

Technically, you need history to make `fc' work. Readline is needed for sh
vi-mode line editing (if the implementation wants to support the Posix
"User Portability Utilities" option).

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    address@hidden    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/