Re: [Help-bash] Targeting minimal POSIX compliance

From: Joel Ebel
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Targeting minimal POSIX compliance
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 10:58:13 -0400

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 4:58 PM, Chet Ramey <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 4/4/18 4:31 PM, Joel Ebel wrote:
> > I'm attempting to build bash for a minimal environment where I would like
> > bash to be small, fast, and with minimal dependencies, but I would like
> > still target POSIX compliance. I had first assumed that
> > --enable-minimal-config would still provide POSIX compliance, but I
> noticed
> > several features being disabled that I believe are required for POSIX
> > compliance. Notably, job control and alias. Are there other features that
> > need to be re-enabled with --enable-minimal-config in order to achieve
> > POSIX compliance?
>
> --enable-job-control
> --enable-alias
> --enable-readline
> --enable-history
> --enable-strict-posix-default
>
> Technically, you need history to make `fc' work. Readline is needed for sh
> vi-mode line editing (if the implementation wants to support the Posix
> "User Portability Utilities" option).

Thanks for the quick reply.  On more consideration, this is not targeting
interactive use, only scripts to start programs, or callouts with system()
and popen(). Users have the option to install complete bash at /bin/bash if
they want additional features or interactive use. In that case, I don't
think any of these options are necessary, except perhaps
--enable-strict-posix-default. Does that make any difference if the binary
is installed at /bin/sh? Are any of these options likely to affect
non-interactive use?