Re: [Help-bash] Undocumented caret logical operator?

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Undocumented caret logical operator?
Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 14:09:06 -0400

At 2018-05-02T13:03:07-0500, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 05/02/2018 12:51 PM, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Can someone tell me what is going on here?  This operator is not
> > documented in SUSv4 nor in the Bash man page, at least not per my
> > full-text search.  The experiments show that it is not acting as an
> > "undocumented synonym for |" (bashref re: SVR4.2's Bourne shell),
>
> Correct, because it is NOT an operator any more.  (only super-old sh, not
> POSIX compatible, treated it as an operator)
[...]

Hah!  Of course.  If I override my instincts and parse it as an ordinary
uninterpreted argument, everything makes sense.  Replace "^" with "ARG"
in all the examples and the behavior is, understandably, identical.

Here's why I asked.  There's a piece of OpenSSH that seems to believe ^
is, or might be, an operator.  It's down in the weeds of some
shell-detection madness, so I'm not sure if they're on crack or not.

https://pastebin.com/df7jYEib

Thanks, Eric!

Branden