Re: [Help-bash] Why is sleep not a builtin

From: Jesse Hathaway
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Why is sleep not a builtin
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 09:33:53 -0500

sorry hit sent accidentally,

I was profiling some bash code and found thousand of execve's running
sleep. Though the aggressive sleeps were not the cause of the problem, as
they were used to wait for a background job to complete. I was curious as
to why sleep is not a bash builtin so as to avoid all the forks, when waiting
for another process to complete? The developer could have used wait, but
then they can't provide any progress feedback to the user.