Re: [Help-bash] Whether line editing disabled, to prevent "bash: bind: w

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Whether line editing disabled, to prevent "bash: bind: warning: line editing not enabled"
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 09:18:58 -0400

On 7/16/18 4:03 AM, R. Diez wrote:
> Hi there:
>
> I recently switched from configuring Readline in .inputrc to "bind"
> commands in a file included from .bashrc . I find it more convenient,
> because I can check in a single Bash configuration script into my personal
> Git repository and use it in all my computers. Upgrading or diff'ing it is
> faster. My personal config file is here:
>
> https://github.com/rdiez/Tools/blob/master/Bash/bashrc-rdiez.sh
>
> However, after the switch, I am getting this warning:
>
> bash: bind: warning: line editing not enabled
>
> This happens only in Emacs 'shell' windows, and not on Emacs 'term' windows
> or on other terminal emulators.
>
> I saw that Bash turns line editing off when it sees an EMACS environment
> variable. That variable is not present on my setup, and other people report
> the same:

Bash has used the INSIDE_EMACS variable to determine whether or not it's
running inside an emacs shell window since April, 2015, in response to

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2015-03/msg00179.html

That came after bash-4.3 was released. There was another fix a year later
during the bash-4.4 release cycle to handle future emacs changes.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2016-04/msg00005.html

Eventually, I will remove the special handling of EMACS and just check
for INSIDE_EMACS. This is how the emacs documentation says to do it going
forward. It should be documented better in the bash documentation.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    address@hidden    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/