Re: [Help-bash] Whether line editing disabled, to prevent "bash: bind: w

From: R. Diez
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Whether line editing disabled, to prevent "bash: bind: warning: line editing not enabled"
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 15:36:07 +0200

First of all, many thanks for your quick answer.

Eventually, I will remove the special handling of EMACS and just check
for INSIDE_EMACS. This is how the emacs documentation says to do it going
forward. It should be documented better in the bash documentation.

It looks like I will have to duplicate Bash' handling of INSIDE_EMACS in my shell script in order to prevent the warning from appearing. The logic is not quite straightforward and can change in the future.

May I suggest that Bash provides a way of detecting whether line editing is active? I mean a way for a shell script to check the result stored in variable no_line_editing.

Regards,
  rdiez