Re: [Help-bash] When pipes fail (and when not)

From: Paul Wagner
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] When pipes fail (and when not)
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 09:22:59 +0100

Dear Bashers,

after leaving me with sleepless nights, yesterday the following solution to the problem that if SIGPIPE is caught in the enclosing environment,

for i in {0..9}; do echo $i; sleep 1; done | dd bs=1 count=10

does not terminate after '5', came to me:

{ echo $BASHPID; for i in {0..9}; do echo $i; sleep 1; done; } | { read pid; dd bs=1 count=10; kill -s term $pid; }

Being aware that this might be a really ugly solution, I'd appreciate any comments or improvements on it.

Regards,

Paul