[Help-bash] Would adding a variable like BASH_RETURN make sense?

From: Peng Yu
Subject: [Help-bash] Would adding a variable like BASH_RETURN make sense?
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 10:45:05 -0600

Hi,

$() is quite expensive.

Would it make sense to add a variable like BASH_RETURN so that
functions can optionally write results to it for later commands to
retrieve?

Due to the especially of the proposed BASH_RETURN, I think that it
probably should not be a regular global variable. I'd expect that
there should some specific features (although I am not quite clear
what it should be) associated with it to make it really useful.

$ ./main.sh
time for ((i=0;i<1000;++i))
do
    x=$(f)