Re: [Help-bash] confused by command substitution...

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] confused by command substitution...
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 11:45:58 -0500

   > I'm not understanding the difference here, or why the last example
   > works.  Anyone got a good explanation?
   >
   > $ if "$(echo x)"; then echo foo; fi
   > bash: x: command not found
   > $ if "$(echo x > /dev/null)"; then echo foo; fi
   > bash: : command not found
   > $ if $(echo x); then echo foo; fi
   > bash: x: command not found
   > $ if $(echo x > /dev/null); then echo foo; fi
   > foo

   They're all 100% wrong.

Clearly they aren't.  They are also syntatically valid according to
POSIX grammar rules from what I can see.

And please calm down, there is no need for such a overly agressive
tone.  If you find yourself using such a tone, better is to not reply
to an message, or wait a day and rewrite it.