Re: [Help-bash] pass command to script

From: Warlich, Christof
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] pass command to script
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 16:42:12 +0000

Chet Ramey wrote:

> You're just introducing another quoting character

That's right. But for rather good reason, as I tried my
very best to explain!

> with slightly different semantics that requires a separate
> escaping mechanenism

Well, that was my main point: As the newly suggested quoting
would use different characters to start and to end the quoting,
no escaping would be necessary at all, because the shell
could easily keep track of the nesting level.
Hence, imho we are not discussing a "siligtly different semantics",
but a substantial enhancement.

Or am I missing some important fact here?

> (and $[] is not available,

That's a bit sad: I already got kind of used to it 😉. But we could
Find something else, couldn’t we? Maybe $<...> or, in the worst
case, something more elaborate, like ${{...}}?

> as previously noted).

Sorry, I'm missing that.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    address@hidden    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/