Re: [Help-bash] bash native way to support test file is older than a cer

From: Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] bash native way to support test file is older than a certain period of time
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2019 22:51:51 +0200

On Sun, Jun 09, 2019 at 03:32:07PM -0500, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't find a bash native way to test if a file is older than a
> certain period of time. Is there not a native way to do so? Thanks.
>
> https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/101115-bash-condition-file-older-than-1-hour.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Peng

There is the -nt ("newer than") test, but that needs a reference file to
test against.  You could create such a file with the touch utility.

The other alternative is to use find:

    if [ -n "$( find "$myfile" -mmin +60 -print)" ]; then
        echo file was modified more than 60 minutes ago
    fi

(where "$myfile" is some path to a file)

There's nothing "bash native" about that though, but it would be
portable.

--
Kusalananda
Sweden