[Help-bash] Get back to ignored command

From: Jana Kotulová
Subject: [Help-bash] Get back to ignored command
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2019 17:22:18 +0200

Hi all,

I have one question about the interactive use of bash.

Back in 90's when it was cool I switched to zsh for about a decade, but became
tired of it not being installed on many systems I come across, so I am moving
back to bash, which is ubiquitous.

One feature I relied on heavily in zsh and really can't figure out in bash is
handling of ignored command in history.

In bash, setting HISTCONTROL=ignorespace (or ignoreboth) behaves as advertised
in the manual.

Zsh has similar option (setopt HIST_IGNORE_SPACE) with a nice little touch -
the ignored command is still available in the internal memory until the next
command is entered, allowing  one to get back to the ignored command by going
back in the interactive history (C-p, up) immediately.

I find this extremely useful in case of making a mistake in an elaborate
one-off command with many/long parameters. In bash I can start typing the whole
thing again, but in zsh simple up, fix the mistake and off we go.

Could you please point me to how to do this in bash? I still can't find the
right setting.

Thank you,
Jana