[Help-bash] 'bash' in 'bash' + 'set +o history'

From: calandraaspirate
Subject: [Help-bash] 'bash' in 'bash' + 'set +o history'
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2019 10:22:53 +0000

Hello

I wonder if anyone can point out the reason for the following behaviour:

1. 'set +o history' in '/etc/profile'
2. 1st 'bash' session respects this setting, no command history file is written 3. From the 1st 'bash' session a 2nd one is started (parent process of the 2nd one is the 1st)
4. The 2nd session logs history

Although, I hoped it was not. Why? Thanks!

Cheers
C.

---

address@hidden ~
$ tail /etc/profile
  profile_d zsh
elif [ ! "x${POSH_VERSION}" = "x" ]; then
  : # [ "${PS1-null}" = "null" ] || PS1="$ "
else
  : # [ "${PS1-null}" = "null" ] || PS1="$ "
fi

# export PROFILEREAD PATH ORIGINAL_PATH MANPATH INFOPATH USER TMP TEMP PRINTER HOSTNAME PS1 SHELL tmp temp export PROFILEREAD PATH ORIGINAL_PATH INFOPATH USER TMP TEMP PRINTER HOSTNAME PS1 SHELL
set +o history

address@hidden ~
$ man bash
       set [--abefhkmnptuvxBCEHPT] [-o option-name] [arg ...]
       set [+abefhkmnptuvxBCEHPT] [+o option-name] [arg ...]
              -o option-name
history Enable command history, as described above under HISTORY. This option is on by default in interactive shells.
If -o is supplied with no option-name, the values of the current options are printed. If +o is supplied with no option-name, a series of set commands to recreate the current option settings is displayed on the standard output.

address@hidden ~
$ set -o | grep history
history         off

address@hidden ~
$ bash

address@hidden ~
$ set -o | grep history
history         on

address@hidden ~
$ exit
exit

address@hidden ~
$ set -o | grep history
history         off

address@hidden ~
$ cat .bash_history
set -o | grep history
exit

This free account was provided by VFEmail.net - report spam to address@hidden

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the
NSA's hands!
$24.95 ONETIME Lifetime accounts with Privacy Features! 15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas! Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!