[Help-bash] Is there a way to know how many arguments are not too long b

From: Peng Yu
Subject: [Help-bash] Is there a way to know how many arguments are not too long beforehand?
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 23:30:16 -0500

Hi,

$(which echo) {1..10000} >/dev/null
$(which echo) {1..100000}
-bash: /usr/local/opt/coreutils/libexec/gnubin/echo: Argument list too long

For a case like this, the number of arguments should be between 10000
and 100000. But this is dependent on many factors.

Is there a way to get a tight lower estimate of it in bash? xargs has
something that may be useful for this purpose. But I'd like something
native to bash.

$ xargs --show-limits < /dev/null
Your environment variables take up 6677 bytes
POSIX upper limit on argument length (this system): 253419
POSIX smallest allowable upper limit on argument length (all systems): 4096
Maximum length of command we could actually use: 246742
Size of command buffer we are actually using: 131072
Maximum parallelism (--max-procs must be no greater): 2147483647

Peng