Re: How to call something when a command is not found?

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: How to call something when a command is not found?
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 16:31:42 -0600

My question was to Marco. You don't need to reply it.

command_not_found_handle does call /usr/lib/command-not-found. I don't
understand why there is a difference in the output when I directly
call /usr/lib/command-not-found or let bash call
command_not_found_handle.

$ type command_not_found_handle
command_not_found_handle is a function
command_not_found_handle ()
{
    if [ -x /usr/lib/command-not-found ]; then
        /usr/lib/command-not-found -- "$1";
        return $?;
    else
        if [ -x /usr/share/command-not-found/command-not-found ]; then
            /usr/share/command-not-found/command-not-found -- "$1";
            return $?;
        else
            printf "%s: command not found\n" "$1" 1>&2;
            return 127;
        fi;
    fi
}

On 3/9/21, Eli Schwartz <eschwartz@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 3/9/21 5:13 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
>> Thanks. The output looks like the following,
>>
>> $ /usr/lib/command-not-found shc
>> Command 'shc' is available in the following places
>>  * /bin/shc
>>  * /usr/bin/shc
>> shc: command not found
>
> That is an external disk executable "command-not-found".
>
> It is NOT the bash manual command_not_found_handle.
>
> Please try your research again.
>
> --
> Eli Schwartz
> Arch LinuxBug Wrangler and Trusted User