Re: quote interpretation via vars without eval

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: quote interpretation via vars without eval
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 16:13:29 -0400

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 08:57:42PM +0100, Alex fxmbsw7 Ratchev wrote:
> also two topics about that shell-escape
> i choosed this one cause it did most reasonable view-results
> i need it for flat txt display on the prompt so i awk it to this, no problem

unicorn:~$ touch $'foo\nbar'
unicorn:~$ ls --quoting-style=shell-escape "$_"
'foo'$'\n''bar'

I don't really consider that a "reasonable view-result", but to each
his own.  It could be worse, I guess.

> in contraverse of needing eval
> i learnt off this list, i dont need eval to make quotes interpreted, at
> least in var assignments, ...i build a string and declare [opts] "$str" and
> it works

Well, sure.  There are lots of places where bash does an implicit eval
on something.  You found one of many.

Bash is the exploding barbed wire death match of programming languages.