terminate read after not receiving additional input for some time

From: Peng Yu
Subject: terminate read after not receiving additional input for some time
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 15:24:56 -0500

Hi,

I want to terminate read after not receiving additional input for some
time. So for the following example, if I used the timeout of 2 in this
sense, I should get "abcd" instead "ab". But `read` does not have a
way to set this kind of timeout. Is there any other way to achieve
this with bash?

$ read -t 2 -r x < <(echo -n a; sleep 1; echo -n b; sleep 1; echo -n
c; sleep 1; echo -n d)
$ declare -p x
declare -- x="ab"

Peng