Re: readline questions

From: Christoph Anton Mitterer
Subject: Re: readline questions
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 20:50:57 +0200

On Fri, 2021-10-08 at 14:41 -0400, Chet Ramey wrote:

> Maybe not as many as you think. Readline uses the terminal driver to
> get its input, and you'll only be able to differentiate between
> shifted
> and non-shifted characters if the terminal emulator emits different
> key
> sequences or that. For instance, my macOS Terminal doesn't
> distinguish
> between shifted and unshifted up-arrow and down-arrow by default.
Hmm I see.

I would have found it nice for things like the "anti-" operation, e.g.
Ctrl-r for incremental reverse,.. Ctrl-Shift-R for forward.

> But that's a different question. It's possible that users might want
> see changes they make in LS_COLORS reflected in the colors they see
> during
> completion. Not a lot of applications allow you to change environment
> variables while they're running, but bash does.

Well in the end it's up do you. :D
Conceptually it would probably make sense, not sure though whether
there's really any use for it (and thus worth the effort).

I mean what I was mostly asking for would be solved in a better way by
using another field from LS_COLORS.

The only other use case that requires re-reading LS_COLORS would be if
someone changes the colours dynamically during the shell life time - in
contrast to just once (where simply restarting all shells would be
enough).

Cheers,
Chris.