Changing user login shell to new bash release

From: Khan Smith
Subject: Changing user login shell to new bash release
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 06:28:31 +0200

   Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 4:19 AM
   From: "Alex fxmbsw7 Ratchev" <fxmbsw7@gmail.com>
   To: "Kerin Millar" <kfm@plushkava.net>
   Cc: "Khan Smith" <khansmith@mail.com>, "help-bash" <help-bash@gnu.org>
   Subject: Re: Changing user login shell to new bash release
   the concern is ./script with #!/bin/bash wont usr/local

   I do not have that concern on the functionality that I provide to the
   console terminal.
   With other functionalities, I can change to #!/usr/local/bin/bash

   Have moved ahead with the chsh solution for the console terminal
   functionality.

   On Wed, Oct 13, 2021, 06:18 Kerin Millar <[1]kfm@plushkava.net> wrote:

     On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 05:33:55 +0200
     Khan Smith <[2]khansmith@mail.com> wrote:

     > Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 3:10 AM
     > From: "Alex fxmbsw7 Ratchev" <[3]fxmbsw7@gmail.com>
     > To: "Khan Smith" <[4]khansmith@mail.com>
     > Cc: "Kerin Millar" <[5]kfm@plushkava.net>, "help-bash"
     <[6]help-bash@gnu.org>
     > Subject: Re: Changing user login shell to new bash release
     > i was asking recently the same
     > chet said its a valid way, but yet i couldnt manage it i think, to
     make it
     > work not sure
     > you just need to copy the bash binary, i mean would be enuff
     >

     > Would be beneficial if Chet could give his point of view, because
     currently I favour
     > adding /usr/local/bin/bash to the /etc/shells followed by "chsh -s
     /usr/local/bin/bash".

     > I am hesitant in case I do even worse than you.
     That is the correct way of designating your login shell. As you have
     wisely elected not to modify the login shell for the root account, I
     don't see any particular concern here, as long as you're able to log
     in directly as root or as some other user that is then able to
     elevate to being root (just in case you somehow break your local
     copy of bash in the future). Also, some graphical terminal emulators
     allow for the path to the shell to be explicitly defined within
     their preferences.
     --
     Kerin Millar